Skip to main content

Three Times This Week, I Looked Up

I read so many things that say worrying is one of the worst things you can do, right along with being afraid.

It's taken me a long time to realize that I can, in fact, change my mind. I can choose to stop worrying about things. Most of the time, that comes with the help of God, but I've also found that I'm simply less afraid than I used to be.

For more than 20 years, we've worried about our kids. Truth be told, I've worried about all of them at least three times this week. I'm proud to say that's much less than it used to be, but it's still more than I should be doing.

I know I'm not perfect and I'm far from who I am truly called to be, but I think this season is teaching me far more than I expected. I'm learning that it's okay to be bored. I'm learning to appreciate the little things rather than constantly chasing the big things. I'm learning that slowing down isn't weakness. Most of all, I think I'm learning to worry less and be afraid of very little.

There are no guarantees in life. My kids will suffer, struggle, and make poor life choices, even though we've spent years telling them not to. At their age, I suffered, struggled, and made poor life choices too, and somehow I turned out okay.

Being a mom to adults hasn't been easy. Part of me grieves that I'm no longer responsible for them in the way I once was. That sounds strange when I say it out loud, but it's also kind of nice. God has a plan for my kids and my granddaughter, and I believe trusting Him allows me to be less afraid of whatever that plan may hold.

Ralph Waldo Emerson said, "Sorrow looks back, worry looks around, faith looks up."

I know I stopped looking back long ago. I'm getting better at not looking around so much, and I know I need to keep looking up.

I'm grateful for the reminders I've found in the many books I've been reading this summer. They keep pointing me back to the same truth: I was never meant to carry everything. Some things are simply beyond my control, and that's okay. Faith doesn't promise that life will be easy or free from heartache, but it reminds me that I don't have to face those things alone.

As I continue learning to let go of worry and trade fear for trust, I'm finding a peace I didn't know I needed. Maybe that was the lesson all along. As 1 Peter 5:7 reminds us, "Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you." Some days I do that better than others, but I'm learning that peace begins where control ends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are you afraid of?

It's Friday the 13th a day in which urban legends come out and people become a little bit superstitious or a little more frightful.    I remember in the late 90s - early 2000s playing Friday the 13th on the Sega Genesis....  All was fine in the day light as you walked around the campground and sometimes you had to get in the boat to go across the lake to the other side.  Life was good... The children were safe.  Then it started to get dark... your Children numbers started dropping, and you had to go find what was taking the children and you knew what was taking them.  You now had to search each of the cabins and in the darkeness even though you expected it at every turn Boom there was JASON and you just said holy S#@T  and screamed a bit in terror.   You took your little rock and threw it at Jason and did your best to dodge the knife as he slashed at you.   Sometimes you defeated him, Sometimes he killed you.  Someti...

Are You Growing Your People Like a Gardener?

Lately at work, I've been feeling like that dead office plant. You know the one sitting in the corner, all wilted, dried up, and barely hanging on. It's surprisingly easy to feel malnourished and deflated. For a plant, it's a lack of water and sunshine. For people, it's often a lack of encouragement, support, and motivation. I love buying plants. I love when they're full, green, and thriving. The problem is, I'm not always great at keeping them that way. Recently, I came across a checklist for growing healthy plants: Know your plants. Make sure the containers or pots are big enough. Provide the right amount of sunshine. Water them only as often as needed. Fertilize them. Check on them regularly. Keep pests away. As I was reading the list, I realized how much of it applies to being a manager. Know your employees. Make sure they're in positions where they can grow and flourish. Encourage and motivate them. Provide constructive feedback. Pay them fairly. Che...

She's not 39... Anymore...

Over 20 years ago when I was in high school, my youth group leader Bonnie was turning 40. Jim (her husband) and I rewrote the lyrics to I can't cry anymore by Sheryl Crow and sang "She's not 39 anymore..." Funny how I somewhat forgot about that and now... Soon I'll be singing that myself. I don't quiet recall at the age of 16 where I wanted to be when I turned forty but I'm pretty sure I wanted to be much like Bonnie. She was a pretty epic person and considering I didn't deserve her love she gave it so freely. I've been reflecting alot on the person I was then and the person I am today. I'm amazed where and how I traveled and the journey in which God lead me. I often wondering, where did the days and years go? I'm not sure I really recall what my 16 year old self would be at   at my  16 year would be at age 40. l daughter look a lot at my daughter and an reminded of the youthfulness and sence of adventure.  Turin...