Skip to main content

More Than Words: Learning to Listen

I often say the wrong thing.

I have gotten better over the years, but I have always been quick to speak and slow to listen.

I recognize my selfishness and stubbornness. I recognize the moments when I want my words to wound instead of heal. I recognize when I want to elevate myself above someone else, proving that I know more or that I am somehow better.

Lately, I have been learning what it really means to be "less than" myself and "more than" my ego. That is harder than I would like to admit.

As the youngest in my family, I was always the one behind everyone else. Everyone got to experience things first, and whether intentionally or not, I often felt like I wasn't enough. Being told you're not enough can create a lifelong desire to prove that you are. Sometimes that proving comes through achievements. Sometimes it comes through your voice.

I think that's why I have spent so much of my life wanting to be heard. Wanting to have the right answer. Wanting to say something meaningful before someone else does.

The funny thing is, I am still learning, even in this middle chapter of life. Looking back, I cringe at some conversations I've had. I can remember moments when I spoke too quickly, assumed too much, or simply wanted to sound smarter than I really was.

If I'm being honest, I sometimes replay those conversations in my mind and rewrite them. In my revised version, I have the perfect response. I sound wiser, smarter, more articulate. But the truth is, those rewritten conversations don't change the real ones. They only reveal how much I still want validation.

We're taught that words can't hurt us, but they absolutely do. The words spoken to us shape us, and the words we speak to others can leave marks that last far longer than we realize.

That's why I am learning to keep some words off my lips and spend more time using my ears.

We live in a world where everyone has an opinion and every platform encourages us to share it. Social media rewards the loudest voices, not always the wisest ones. We are constantly tempted to respond, comment, correct, debate, and prove.

But maybe the answer isn't having better responses.

Maybe it's learning to listen longer.

Maybe wisdom isn't found in being heard, but in understanding.

My new goal is simple: to be slow to speak, unplug more often than not, be present in the here and now, and develop ears that truly listen.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are you afraid of?

It's Friday the 13th a day in which urban legends come out and people become a little bit superstitious or a little more frightful.    I remember in the late 90s - early 2000s playing Friday the 13th on the Sega Genesis....  All was fine in the day light as you walked around the campground and sometimes you had to get in the boat to go across the lake to the other side.  Life was good... The children were safe.  Then it started to get dark... your Children numbers started dropping, and you had to go find what was taking the children and you knew what was taking them.  You now had to search each of the cabins and in the darkeness even though you expected it at every turn Boom there was JASON and you just said holy S#@T  and screamed a bit in terror.   You took your little rock and threw it at Jason and did your best to dodge the knife as he slashed at you.   Sometimes you defeated him, Sometimes he killed you.  Someti...

She's not 39... Anymore...

Over 20 years ago when I was in high school, my youth group leader Bonnie was turning 40. Jim (her husband) and I rewrote the lyrics to I can't cry anymore by Sheryl Crow and sang "She's not 39 anymore..." Funny how I somewhat forgot about that and now... Soon I'll be singing that myself. I don't quiet recall at the age of 16 where I wanted to be when I turned forty but I'm pretty sure I wanted to be much like Bonnie. She was a pretty epic person and considering I didn't deserve her love she gave it so freely. I've been reflecting alot on the person I was then and the person I am today. I'm amazed where and how I traveled and the journey in which God lead me. I often wondering, where did the days and years go? I'm not sure I really recall what my 16 year old self would be at   at my  16 year would be at age 40. l daughter look a lot at my daughter and an reminded of the youthfulness and sence of adventure.  Turin...

Are You Growing Your People Like a Gardener?

Lately at work, I've been feeling like that dead office plant. You know the one sitting in the corner, all wilted, dried up, and barely hanging on. It's surprisingly easy to feel malnourished and deflated. For a plant, it's a lack of water and sunshine. For people, it's often a lack of encouragement, support, and motivation. I love buying plants. I love when they're full, green, and thriving. The problem is, I'm not always great at keeping them that way. Recently, I came across a checklist for growing healthy plants: Know your plants. Make sure the containers or pots are big enough. Provide the right amount of sunshine. Water them only as often as needed. Fertilize them. Check on them regularly. Keep pests away. As I was reading the list, I realized how much of it applies to being a manager. Know your employees. Make sure they're in positions where they can grow and flourish. Encourage and motivate them. Provide constructive feedback. Pay them fairly. Che...