Skip to main content

I See You, Ricky

I see him very often at the corner on my way to work.

He reminds me of my dad in a lot of ways. The way he walks. His stance. Sure, my dad isn't a Black man with an eye patch, but he gives me the same vibes.

I don't really know his story, but I see him often, and I pray for him every time I do. He always waves and carries the same sign.

I don't typically give people things when I see them holding signs that say, "Please help..." Most of the time, I think the same thing many people think. They're just going to use the money to buy drugs or alcohol, or they're begging because they're too lazy to get a job. I even once saw a man begging on a corner walk over to his very nice car after collecting a few bucks.

So naturally, I'm skeptical of everyone.

But this man is different.

Today, I had some cash, and I could afford to give him some. I've seen him for almost a whole year, and I hardly ever have real cash on hand. Today, I saw him start walking up the incline of the exit ramp, and my heart really jumped and said, Give him something.

I didn't think he would make it to my car before the light turned green, but he did.

I rolled down my window, held out a $20 bill, and asked, "What's your name?"

He said, "Ricky."

We briefly squeezed hands.

I said, "Hi Ricky, I'm Heather, and I just wanted to let you know I see you..."

The light turned before I could finish my thought, which was really just, I see you out here all the time.

He smiled and said, "God bless you."

And I replied, "God bless you too, Ricky."

As I pulled away, I prayed.

"God, please do bless Ricky."

I did nothing special, and yet my heart still aches for him. I want to put him in my car and take him to breakfast. I want to bring him a bagged lunch every day.

As I made the last few minutes of my drive to work and pulled into the parking lot, I prayed again.

"God, thank You for Ricky and for reminding me how much work we still have to do to help those in need."

I might have also said, "Even if Ricky uses my gift for drugs or alcohol, please still bless him."

Maybe it wasn't that eloquent, but it was what was in my heart.

How do we show up for those in need?

I fail most of the time.

I think about Jesus' parable of the Good Samaritan and how often I am the passerby who keeps walking, avoiding those who need help.

We live in a world filled with social injustices and economic inequalities, and I'm still learning what it means to roll down the window and give something to a stranger who may or may not deserve what I have to give.

But then I think about it through the correct lens.

Jesus rolled the window down for me.

So thank you, Ricky, for reminding me who I am called to be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are you afraid of?

It's Friday the 13th a day in which urban legends come out and people become a little bit superstitious or a little more frightful.    I remember in the late 90s - early 2000s playing Friday the 13th on the Sega Genesis....  All was fine in the day light as you walked around the campground and sometimes you had to get in the boat to go across the lake to the other side.  Life was good... The children were safe.  Then it started to get dark... your Children numbers started dropping, and you had to go find what was taking the children and you knew what was taking them.  You now had to search each of the cabins and in the darkeness even though you expected it at every turn Boom there was JASON and you just said holy S#@T  and screamed a bit in terror.   You took your little rock and threw it at Jason and did your best to dodge the knife as he slashed at you.   Sometimes you defeated him, Sometimes he killed you.  Someti...

She's not 39... Anymore...

Over 20 years ago when I was in high school, my youth group leader Bonnie was turning 40. Jim (her husband) and I rewrote the lyrics to I can't cry anymore by Sheryl Crow and sang "She's not 39 anymore..." Funny how I somewhat forgot about that and now... Soon I'll be singing that myself. I don't quiet recall at the age of 16 where I wanted to be when I turned forty but I'm pretty sure I wanted to be much like Bonnie. She was a pretty epic person and considering I didn't deserve her love she gave it so freely. I've been reflecting alot on the person I was then and the person I am today. I'm amazed where and how I traveled and the journey in which God lead me. I often wondering, where did the days and years go? I'm not sure I really recall what my 16 year old self would be at   at my  16 year would be at age 40. l daughter look a lot at my daughter and an reminded of the youthfulness and sence of adventure.  Turin...

Are You Growing Your People Like a Gardener?

Lately at work, I've been feeling like that dead office plant. You know the one sitting in the corner, all wilted, dried up, and barely hanging on. It's surprisingly easy to feel malnourished and deflated. For a plant, it's a lack of water and sunshine. For people, it's often a lack of encouragement, support, and motivation. I love buying plants. I love when they're full, green, and thriving. The problem is, I'm not always great at keeping them that way. Recently, I came across a checklist for growing healthy plants: Know your plants. Make sure the containers or pots are big enough. Provide the right amount of sunshine. Water them only as often as needed. Fertilize them. Check on them regularly. Keep pests away. As I was reading the list, I realized how much of it applies to being a manager. Know your employees. Make sure they're in positions where they can grow and flourish. Encourage and motivate them. Provide constructive feedback. Pay them fairly. Che...