Skip to main content

Pre-College

My daughter, currently a high school junior, is now convinced she should take a gap year.

For a while, she's struggled with the pressure of making good grades and scoring high marks on college entrance exams. She was determined to earn a running scholarship and convinced herself that she needed to take a heavy load of AP and honors classes.

Now, she just wants to travel.

She's researched programs in Korea, Kenya, and Hawaii. To her, everything feels like a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Last night, she told me she wanted to join Habitat for Humanity or AmeriCorps because her dad and I both did it. Maybe she doesn't fully understand what that experience truly entails.

As I started to ponder the differences between my life and hers, it dawned on me just how quickly I grew up at her age.

The circumstances were very different. Mine was a tough life.

I never had the traditional college experience. When I left home on my 18th birthday, I never returned. Adulthood came fast, and there wasn't much time to explore who I wanted to be or what path I wanted to take.

God's plans for our lives can seem so complex at times, yet so simple. We all wrestle with questions about our purpose. We all wonder which path is best and what we should do next. In the end, each of us travels life's journey differently.

As I try to guide my daughter toward the path that's right for her, it's sometimes difficult for her to understand how different our experiences have been. For now, she's simply a young woman standing on the edge of adulthood, looking toward the future with excitement and possibility.

And perhaps that's exactly where she's supposed to be.

We'll continue to pray, offer guidance, and trust that the Lord will lead her exactly where she needs to go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are you afraid of?

It's Friday the 13th a day in which urban legends come out and people become a little bit superstitious or a little more frightful.    I remember in the late 90s - early 2000s playing Friday the 13th on the Sega Genesis....  All was fine in the day light as you walked around the campground and sometimes you had to get in the boat to go across the lake to the other side.  Life was good... The children were safe.  Then it started to get dark... your Children numbers started dropping, and you had to go find what was taking the children and you knew what was taking them.  You now had to search each of the cabins and in the darkeness even though you expected it at every turn Boom there was JASON and you just said holy S#@T  and screamed a bit in terror.   You took your little rock and threw it at Jason and did your best to dodge the knife as he slashed at you.   Sometimes you defeated him, Sometimes he killed you.  Someti...

Are You Growing Your People Like a Gardener?

Lately at work, I've been feeling like that dead office plant. You know the one sitting in the corner, all wilted, dried up, and barely hanging on. It's surprisingly easy to feel malnourished and deflated. For a plant, it's a lack of water and sunshine. For people, it's often a lack of encouragement, support, and motivation. I love buying plants. I love when they're full, green, and thriving. The problem is, I'm not always great at keeping them that way. Recently, I came across a checklist for growing healthy plants: Know your plants. Make sure the containers or pots are big enough. Provide the right amount of sunshine. Water them only as often as needed. Fertilize them. Check on them regularly. Keep pests away. As I was reading the list, I realized how much of it applies to being a manager. Know your employees. Make sure they're in positions where they can grow and flourish. Encourage and motivate them. Provide constructive feedback. Pay them fairly. Che...

She's not 39... Anymore...

Over 20 years ago when I was in high school, my youth group leader Bonnie was turning 40. Jim (her husband) and I rewrote the lyrics to I can't cry anymore by Sheryl Crow and sang "She's not 39 anymore..." Funny how I somewhat forgot about that and now... Soon I'll be singing that myself. I don't quiet recall at the age of 16 where I wanted to be when I turned forty but I'm pretty sure I wanted to be much like Bonnie. She was a pretty epic person and considering I didn't deserve her love she gave it so freely. I've been reflecting alot on the person I was then and the person I am today. I'm amazed where and how I traveled and the journey in which God lead me. I often wondering, where did the days and years go? I'm not sure I really recall what my 16 year old self would be at   at my  16 year would be at age 40. l daughter look a lot at my daughter and an reminded of the youthfulness and sence of adventure.  Turin...