Skip to main content

May the Force Be With Finn... Somewhere Else

A few nights ago, my huge Star Wars fan husband and I were talking about the upcoming Star Wars movie, The Last Jedi. Let's just say that, in our opinion, the movie was a huge letdown.

We started discussing the various fan theories and characters from the franchise. During the conversation, I mentioned that I hoped Finn's character would have a smaller role in the next movie because, frankly, I find him annoying.



Disclaimer: This is not about disliking any of the actors involved. I personally enjoyed characters such as Lando Calrissian and Mace Windu, and I believe John Boyega is a talented actor with a bright future ahead of him. My criticism is directed solely at the character of Finn (FN-2187).

In my view, Finn is the most irritating Star Wars character since Jar Jar Binks. In fact, there are several similarities between the two. It often feels as though the writers are working hard to make Finn's supporting character arc more compelling, but it hasn't really connected with me.

In The Force Awakens, Finn begins as a First Order stormtrooper who wants out and ultimately defects. He later joins the Resistance, but much of his motivation seems tied to Rey and his desire to impress her.

He's certainly no Han Solo, and if the writers decide to make Finn and Rey a romantic couple, I'll be disappointed. We also discussed some of the fan theories surrounding Rey and Finn. Whether any of those theories prove true remains to be seen, but I wouldn't be surprised if Lucasfilm takes the story in an unexpected direction.

Nevertheless, my biggest issue with Finn is that he seems to complain constantly, overcompensate, and always wants to be the hero. As a result, I find him difficult to connect with as a character.

I'm still not entirely sure why The Last Jedi took the story in the direction it did, but it will be interesting to see where the franchise goes from here.

May the Force be with us, and let's hope the next installment is less of a letdown.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are you afraid of?

It's Friday the 13th a day in which urban legends come out and people become a little bit superstitious or a little more frightful.    I remember in the late 90s - early 2000s playing Friday the 13th on the Sega Genesis....  All was fine in the day light as you walked around the campground and sometimes you had to get in the boat to go across the lake to the other side.  Life was good... The children were safe.  Then it started to get dark... your Children numbers started dropping, and you had to go find what was taking the children and you knew what was taking them.  You now had to search each of the cabins and in the darkeness even though you expected it at every turn Boom there was JASON and you just said holy S#@T  and screamed a bit in terror.   You took your little rock and threw it at Jason and did your best to dodge the knife as he slashed at you.   Sometimes you defeated him, Sometimes he killed you.  Someti...

She's not 39... Anymore...

Over 20 years ago when I was in high school, my youth group leader Bonnie was turning 40. Jim (her husband) and I rewrote the lyrics to I can't cry anymore by Sheryl Crow and sang "She's not 39 anymore..." Funny how I somewhat forgot about that and now... Soon I'll be singing that myself. I don't quiet recall at the age of 16 where I wanted to be when I turned forty but I'm pretty sure I wanted to be much like Bonnie. She was a pretty epic person and considering I didn't deserve her love she gave it so freely. I've been reflecting alot on the person I was then and the person I am today. I'm amazed where and how I traveled and the journey in which God lead me. I often wondering, where did the days and years go? I'm not sure I really recall what my 16 year old self would be at   at my  16 year would be at age 40. l daughter look a lot at my daughter and an reminded of the youthfulness and sence of adventure.  Turin...

Are You Growing Your People Like a Gardener?

Lately at work, I've been feeling like that dead office plant. You know the one sitting in the corner, all wilted, dried up, and barely hanging on. It's surprisingly easy to feel malnourished and deflated. For a plant, it's a lack of water and sunshine. For people, it's often a lack of encouragement, support, and motivation. I love buying plants. I love when they're full, green, and thriving. The problem is, I'm not always great at keeping them that way. Recently, I came across a checklist for growing healthy plants: Know your plants. Make sure the containers or pots are big enough. Provide the right amount of sunshine. Water them only as often as needed. Fertilize them. Check on them regularly. Keep pests away. As I was reading the list, I realized how much of it applies to being a manager. Know your employees. Make sure they're in positions where they can grow and flourish. Encourage and motivate them. Provide constructive feedback. Pay them fairly. Che...