Skip to main content

Architects vs. Engineers — From a Finance Perspective (and a Mom’s Perspective)

Over the last decade, I’ve worked closely with both architects and engineers - and if you sit where I sit in finance, you start to notice patterns pretty quickly.

They’re both essential - smart, hardworking, and critical to getting a project across the finish line. But they think very differently about value, output, and money.

Architects, in my experience, lead with vision. They care deeply about the design, the experience, how something looks, feels, and comes together. There’s pride in the work - and rightly so. The conversation is often about possibilities, beauty, and pushing the idea further.

Engineers approach things a little differently. They want to know:

Does it work? Is it efficient? What’s the most logical way to get there?

And those differences show up clearly when you bring finance into the picture.

Architects often see cost as something to work around or manage. Engineers tend to build cost into the equation from the beginning. There’s a natural focus on efficiency, optimization, and measurable output.

As someone wired for performance, margins, and accountability, I’ll admit - I naturally gravitate toward the engineering mindset. It aligns closely with how I think about results. But I’m also deeply artistic at my core. I can get completely absorbed in an art project, losing track of time, chasing the details, wanting a painting to come together just right. I still love Picasso’s quote, “Every child is an artist. The problem is remaining one when we grow up.” I’ve held onto that. And because of it, I understand the pull of the creative process, which is exactly why I’ve come to appreciate both sides even more.

Which makes this season of life especially meaningful.

My son is starting his second year at Wake Tech, with hopes of transferring to NC State for Civil Engineering. And in a lot of ways, this path feels like it’s been building for a long time.

When he was two, he wanted to be an architect. I still remember his daycare teacher laughing and telling me she had to Google how to spell “architect” so she could label his self-portrait - because most kids his age were drawing themselves as firefighters or police officers.

By third grade, he had shifted to wanting to be a structural engineer. His teacher smiled during our conference and told me her brother was a structural engineer - and that most third graders don’t even know what an engineer is, let alone a structural one.

The signs were always there.

He spent years building detailed worlds in Minecraft and Roblox, completely absorbed in how things came together. He understood, even then, the balance between vision and function. He could sit for hours watching YouTubers like Mark Rober, Practical Engineer, Real Engineering, and Smarter Every Day.

Looking back, it all lines up.

But what stands out most to me isn’t just his interest in engineering - it’s his work ethic. He’s driven, focused, and disciplined in a way that makes me confident that wherever he lands, he’s going to do great things.

And the more I’ve worked with architects and engineers over the years, the more I’ve come to appreciate that the best outcomes don’t come from one way of thinking.

They come from balance.

The strongest teams are the ones where big ideas are paired with practical execution. Where creativity is supported by discipline. Where vision and function push each other to be better.

So while I may naturally lean toward efficiency and results, I’ve learned to respect both sides.

And I’m excited to see where my son fits into that world - and what he builds next.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are you afraid of?

It's Friday the 13th a day in which urban legends come out and people become a little bit superstitious or a little more frightful.    I remember in the late 90s - early 2000s playing Friday the 13th on the Sega Genesis....  All was fine in the day light as you walked around the campground and sometimes you had to get in the boat to go across the lake to the other side.  Life was good... The children were safe.  Then it started to get dark... your Children numbers started dropping, and you had to go find what was taking the children and you knew what was taking them.  You now had to search each of the cabins and in the darkeness even though you expected it at every turn Boom there was JASON and you just said holy S#@T  and screamed a bit in terror.   You took your little rock and threw it at Jason and did your best to dodge the knife as he slashed at you.   Sometimes you defeated him, Sometimes he killed you.  Someti...

She's not 39... Anymore...

Over 20 years ago when I was in high school, my youth group leader Bonnie was turning 40. Jim (her husband) and I rewrote the lyrics to I can't cry anymore by Sheryl Crow and sang "She's not 39 anymore..." Funny how I somewhat forgot about that and now... Soon I'll be singing that myself. I don't quiet recall at the age of 16 where I wanted to be when I turned forty but I'm pretty sure I wanted to be much like Bonnie. She was a pretty epic person and considering I didn't deserve her love she gave it so freely. I've been reflecting alot on the person I was then and the person I am today. I'm amazed where and how I traveled and the journey in which God lead me. I often wondering, where did the days and years go? I'm not sure I really recall what my 16 year old self would be at   at my  16 year would be at age 40. l daughter look a lot at my daughter and an reminded of the youthfulness and sence of adventure.  Turin...

Are You Growing Your People Like a Gardener?

Lately at work, I've been feeling like that dead office plant. You know the one sitting in the corner, all wilted, dried up, and barely hanging on. It's surprisingly easy to feel malnourished and deflated. For a plant, it's a lack of water and sunshine. For people, it's often a lack of encouragement, support, and motivation. I love buying plants. I love when they're full, green, and thriving. The problem is, I'm not always great at keeping them that way. Recently, I came across a checklist for growing healthy plants: Know your plants. Make sure the containers or pots are big enough. Provide the right amount of sunshine. Water them only as often as needed. Fertilize them. Check on them regularly. Keep pests away. As I was reading the list, I realized how much of it applies to being a manager. Know your employees. Make sure they're in positions where they can grow and flourish. Encourage and motivate them. Provide constructive feedback. Pay them fairly. Che...