Skip to main content

A Year of Grandparenting: Distance, Dreams, and Devotion

Last week my granddaughter turned 1. Where did the last year go?

I know I was a young mom, but I never expected to become a young grandparent as well. It’s strange and sometimes mentally hard. I always pictured myself as the fun grandparent—taking my grandkids on adventures, making crafts, and sharing laughter. But my granddaughter doesn’t live near me, and at times, I feel like I’m missing so much as she grows up. Life doesn’t slow down for anyone; I still have to work and carry significant responsibilities. I wish I could press pause and savor the little moments, but time just keeps slipping away.

Still, I am grateful for the good relationship I have with my children, and I hope to build just as strong a bond with my grandchildren—however many I may have someday. It’s true: we never stop worrying about our adult kids, and now that concern extends to their children. No one tells you how hard parenting is, or that grandparenting comes with its own set of challenges and joys.

As I reflect on this first year, I’m reminded how important it is to cherish the moments we do get, even if they’re brief or far apart. Distance may separate us, but love bridges the gap. I want my granddaughter to know, as she grows, that kindness matters, that curiosity leads to wisdom, and that love is the greatest gift of all.

So, here are some wishes for her—and for myself—as we continue this journey together:

  • Love generously: “Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.” — 1 Peter 4:8
  • Practice kindness: Every act of compassion makes the world brighter.
  • Seek wisdom and wonder: “Wonder is the beginning of wisdom.” — Socrates
  • Be grateful for each day: The little things often become the big things.
  • Be brave and true: Courage will carry us through the unknown.

Maybe I won’t be able to do all the “fun grandparent” things I imagined, but I’ll do my best to stay connected and share whatever love, guidance, and support I can—no matter the miles between us. And I hope someday she’ll look back and know she was cherished every step of the way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are you afraid of?

It's Friday the 13th a day in which urban legends come out and people become a little bit superstitious or a little more frightful.    I remember in the late 90s - early 2000s playing Friday the 13th on the Sega Genesis....  All was fine in the day light as you walked around the campground and sometimes you had to get in the boat to go across the lake to the other side.  Life was good... The children were safe.  Then it started to get dark... your Children numbers started dropping, and you had to go find what was taking the children and you knew what was taking them.  You now had to search each of the cabins and in the darkeness even though you expected it at every turn Boom there was JASON and you just said holy S#@T  and screamed a bit in terror.   You took your little rock and threw it at Jason and did your best to dodge the knife as he slashed at you.   Sometimes you defeated him, Sometimes he killed you.  Someti...

She's not 39... Anymore...

Over 20 years ago when I was in high school, my youth group leader Bonnie was turning 40. Jim (her husband) and I rewrote the lyrics to I can't cry anymore by Sheryl Crow and sang "She's not 39 anymore..." Funny how I somewhat forgot about that and now... Soon I'll be singing that myself. I don't quiet recall at the age of 16 where I wanted to be when I turned forty but I'm pretty sure I wanted to be much like Bonnie. She was a pretty epic person and considering I didn't deserve her love she gave it so freely. I've been reflecting alot on the person I was then and the person I am today. I'm amazed where and how I traveled and the journey in which God lead me. I often wondering, where did the days and years go? I'm not sure I really recall what my 16 year old self would be at   at my  16 year would be at age 40. l daughter look a lot at my daughter and an reminded of the youthfulness and sence of adventure.  Turin...

Are You Growing Your People Like a Gardener?

Lately at work, I've been feeling like that dead office plant. You know the one sitting in the corner, all wilted, dried up, and barely hanging on. It's surprisingly easy to feel malnourished and deflated. For a plant, it's a lack of water and sunshine. For people, it's often a lack of encouragement, support, and motivation. I love buying plants. I love when they're full, green, and thriving. The problem is, I'm not always great at keeping them that way. Recently, I came across a checklist for growing healthy plants: Know your plants. Make sure the containers or pots are big enough. Provide the right amount of sunshine. Water them only as often as needed. Fertilize them. Check on them regularly. Keep pests away. As I was reading the list, I realized how much of it applies to being a manager. Know your employees. Make sure they're in positions where they can grow and flourish. Encourage and motivate them. Provide constructive feedback. Pay them fairly. Che...