Every now and then, things don't go my way.
Well, if I'm being honest, it seems to happen more often these days.
Between trials, setbacks, disappointments, frustrations, and unexpected challenges, it sometimes feels like life has been serving up a little bit of everything lately.
The other day, Google Music created a playlist for me called "Shake It Off."
At first, I laughed.
But the more I thought about it, the more I realized that's exactly what I've been needing to do.
There are times when I feel like I'm growing closer to Christ, becoming more patient, more trusting, and more focused on Him. Then something happens and I get knocked down a few pegs.
It's as if the world wants me to become cynical. It wants me to be angry, bitter, discouraged, or depressed.
And honestly, some days it's tempting.
But whether I need to shake it off or simply refuse to be shaken, I know I can't stay in that place.
I've found one of the best ways to shake off discouragement is through worship, Scripture, and spending time with God.
In 1 Thessalonians 3, Paul understood that believers would face difficulties and trials. He knew that firsthand. Because of his concern for the church, he sent Timothy to encourage them and strengthen their faith so they would not be shaken by the hardships they were facing.
That passage reminds me that struggles are not a sign that God has abandoned us. Difficulties are part of living in a broken world. The question isn't whether we'll face them. The question is how we'll respond when they come.
Will we allow disappointment to make us bitter?
Or will we allow God to use it to make us stronger?
So if you're feeling disappointed, discouraged, tested, or battle-worn today, draw near to Jesus. Stay close to Him. Open His Word. Put on a worship song. Let Him remind you who He is and who you are.
Life may knock you down from time to time.
But with Christ, you don't have to stay there.
Sometimes the most spiritual thing you can do is simply get back up, trust God, and shake it off.

Comments
Post a Comment