Skip to main content

Demolition or Escalation

I was thinking back on my life of the different types of people there are in the world.  

   Those that are introvert and Those that are extroverts
   Those that are optimist and Those that are pessimist
   Those that are givers and Those that are takers
   Those that agreeable and Those that are disagreeable
   Those that build up and Those that tear down

I often reflect on what type of person am I .. Sometimes I feel pessimist and sometimes I feel optimist.  Sometimes I give a lot and sometimes I take a lot.  Sometimes I build up others and unfortunately sometimes I tear others down.  

No one is perfect but it's import to recognize what type of person you are ... what type of person you would like to be and what type of person you tend to hang around. 

I have found myself cutting people out of my life that tend to just tear me down.  They don't really celebrate my accomplishments or joys with me ... but rather point out the times I've failed or wasn't good enough.  
   
I want to be around people who build you up... rather than tear you down.  But more importantly I want to be mindful of encouraging others were they are in life and hopefully I will do more building than demolition.  

Just remember everyone is under construction and sometimes we need to do a little renovation in our lives... thankful we have a great carpenter!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are you afraid of?

It's Friday the 13th a day in which urban legends come out and people become a little bit superstitious or a little more frightful.    I remember in the late 90s - early 2000s playing Friday the 13th on the Sega Genesis....  All was fine in the day light as you walked around the campground and sometimes you had to get in the boat to go across the lake to the other side.  Life was good... The children were safe.  Then it started to get dark... your Children numbers started dropping, and you had to go find what was taking the children and you knew what was taking them.  You now had to search each of the cabins and in the darkeness even though you expected it at every turn Boom there was JASON and you just said holy S#@T  and screamed a bit in terror.   You took your little rock and threw it at Jason and did your best to dodge the knife as he slashed at you.   Sometimes you defeated him, Sometimes he killed you.  Someti...

She's not 39... Anymore...

Over 20 years ago when I was in high school, my youth group leader Bonnie was turning 40. Jim (her husband) and I rewrote the lyrics to I can't cry anymore by Sheryl Crow and sang "She's not 39 anymore..." Funny how I somewhat forgot about that and now... Soon I'll be singing that myself. I don't quiet recall at the age of 16 where I wanted to be when I turned forty but I'm pretty sure I wanted to be much like Bonnie. She was a pretty epic person and considering I didn't deserve her love she gave it so freely. I've been reflecting alot on the person I was then and the person I am today. I'm amazed where and how I traveled and the journey in which God lead me. I often wondering, where did the days and years go? I'm not sure I really recall what my 16 year old self would be at   at my  16 year would be at age 40. l daughter look a lot at my daughter and an reminded of the youthfulness and sence of adventure.  Turin...

Are You Growing Your People Like a Gardener?

Lately at work, I've been feeling like that dead office plant. You know the one sitting in the corner, all wilted, dried up, and barely hanging on. It's surprisingly easy to feel malnourished and deflated. For a plant, it's a lack of water and sunshine. For people, it's often a lack of encouragement, support, and motivation. I love buying plants. I love when they're full, green, and thriving. The problem is, I'm not always great at keeping them that way. Recently, I came across a checklist for growing healthy plants: Know your plants. Make sure the containers or pots are big enough. Provide the right amount of sunshine. Water them only as often as needed. Fertilize them. Check on them regularly. Keep pests away. As I was reading the list, I realized how much of it applies to being a manager. Know your employees. Make sure they're in positions where they can grow and flourish. Encourage and motivate them. Provide constructive feedback. Pay them fairly. Che...