Skip to main content

Twenty More Years Than I Thought We'd Have


In 2006, my husband was diagnosed with cancer.

I can still remember hearing the news, and feeling like the floor had disappeared beneath me. Fear, uncertainty, and countless "what if" questions filled that season of our lives.

What made it even more frightening was that the doctors weren't entirely sure what they were dealing with. Because of his previous battle with melanoma years earlier, they feared the worst. As we sat there listening, all I could hear was that my husband might not be here much longer. I felt our future had suddenly become very short.

As if that wasn't enough, life kept piling on. During that same season, I found out I was pregnant with our son. While trying to process the possibility of losing my husband, I was also carrying a new life. Then came another blow. I was laid off from my job.

Cancer. Pregnancy. Unemployment.

It felt like one wave after another.

Yet, even in the middle of all that uncertainty, God was at work in ways we couldn't see.

Here we are in 2026, twenty years later.

Twenty years.

Sometimes I joke that I was supposed to be on husband #2 by now. Instead, I am still blessed with husband #1, and I couldn't be more grateful for these extra years together.

They haven't been perfect years, but they've been good years. Hard years. Interesting years. Fun years. Real years!

We've lived through sickness and health, through being young, dumb, and broke, and through eventually getting life together just a little bit more. We've made mistakes, learned lessons, and experienced God's goodness in ways we never could have imagined back in that frightening doctor's office.

During these twenty years, we've raised two beautiful children. We've welcomed an amazing son-in-law into our family and fallen completely in love with our granddaughter. We've shared countless adventures, explored countries and cultures we once only dreamed about seeing, attended concerts, camped under the stars, and created memories that I once feared we would never have the chance to make.

When I look back now, I am amazed at our story.

Not because everything went according to plan. It certainly didn't.

I'm amazed because God's faithfulness showed up in the middle of uncertainty. The chapter I thought might be the end turned out to be the beginning of twenty unexpected years filled with love, laughter, growth, and grace.

Life has a way of reminding us that tomorrow is never promised. But it also reminds us that we often worry about endings that God hasn't written.

Twenty years ago, I was grieving a future I thought we were about to lose. Today, I stand in awe of a God who saw what I couldn't see. The diagnosis that looked like the closing of a chapter became the doorway to twenty more years of love, family, adventure, and countless reminders of His faithfulness.

I know that not everyone gets a happy ending or a story like mine. There is sadness and pain in watching our loved ones fight for their lives. The truth is that every story eventually comes to an end, and 20 years ago, with that cancer diagnosis, I thought our love story was ending too. But we know that God is good, no matter the outcome. His goodness is not defined by the ending of our story, but by his faithfulness through every chapter.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are you afraid of?

It's Friday the 13th a day in which urban legends come out and people become a little bit superstitious or a little more frightful.    I remember in the late 90s - early 2000s playing Friday the 13th on the Sega Genesis....  All was fine in the day light as you walked around the campground and sometimes you had to get in the boat to go across the lake to the other side.  Life was good... The children were safe.  Then it started to get dark... your Children numbers started dropping, and you had to go find what was taking the children and you knew what was taking them.  You now had to search each of the cabins and in the darkeness even though you expected it at every turn Boom there was JASON and you just said holy S#@T  and screamed a bit in terror.   You took your little rock and threw it at Jason and did your best to dodge the knife as he slashed at you.   Sometimes you defeated him, Sometimes he killed you.  Someti...

Are You Growing Your People Like a Gardener?

Lately at work, I've been feeling like that dead office plant. You know the one sitting in the corner, all wilted, dried up, and barely hanging on. It's surprisingly easy to feel malnourished and deflated. For a plant, it's a lack of water and sunshine. For people, it's often a lack of encouragement, support, and motivation. I love buying plants. I love when they're full, green, and thriving. The problem is, I'm not always great at keeping them that way. Recently, I came across a checklist for growing healthy plants: Know your plants. Make sure the containers or pots are big enough. Provide the right amount of sunshine. Water them only as often as needed. Fertilize them. Check on them regularly. Keep pests away. As I was reading the list, I realized how much of it applies to being a manager. Know your employees. Make sure they're in positions where they can grow and flourish. Encourage and motivate them. Provide constructive feedback. Pay them fairly. Che...

She's not 39... Anymore...

Over 20 years ago when I was in high school, my youth group leader Bonnie was turning 40. Jim (her husband) and I rewrote the lyrics to I can't cry anymore by Sheryl Crow and sang "She's not 39 anymore..." Funny how I somewhat forgot about that and now... Soon I'll be singing that myself. I don't quiet recall at the age of 16 where I wanted to be when I turned forty but I'm pretty sure I wanted to be much like Bonnie. She was a pretty epic person and considering I didn't deserve her love she gave it so freely. I've been reflecting alot on the person I was then and the person I am today. I'm amazed where and how I traveled and the journey in which God lead me. I often wondering, where did the days and years go? I'm not sure I really recall what my 16 year old self would be at   at my  16 year would be at age 40. l daughter look a lot at my daughter and an reminded of the youthfulness and sence of adventure.  Turin...