Skip to main content

Where Do We Draw the Line?

I know it's important to surround yourself with people who encourage you, support you, and help you become a better version of yourself.

I also know it's important to remove truly toxic people from your life, especially when they consistently cause harm and show no desire to change.

But what about the people in the middle?

What about family?

The people who can be difficult. The people who don't always build you up. The ones who sometimes hurt you, frustrate you, or push every button you have. Yet somehow, they are still your people.

In my family, everyone is a little unwell in one way or another, in mind, body, or soul. We're loud, opinionated, and more than a little nebby. We can be annoying, exhausting, and complicated.

My childhood was dysfunctional in many ways, but it wasn't all bad.

The older I get, the more I realize that "normal" is relative. What one person sees as a typical family dynamic, another may experience as deeply painful or even abusive. Families are messy, and every story has layers.

But what happens when someone decides the relationship is beyond repair?

What happens when one day you cut off your parents completely and go incommunicado?

That's what happened with my parents and my brother.

I don't know all the details. Maybe I never will. What I do know is how difficult it's been for my parents to suddenly stop being part of my brother's life and the lives of his many children, children they loved deeply.

I know some of it stems from years of family dysfunction and unresolved hurt. Beyond that, I'm not sure.

Most days, I've made peace with not knowing. But some days, it still bothers me.

As Christians, we're called to love the people God has placed in our lives. But where do we draw the line between loving someone and removing them from our lives altogether?

Is there a formula?

Is there a point of no return?

I think about Jesus often when I wrestle with these questions. He loved people who were difficult, broken, and sometimes deeply unlovable. His love was radical.

Yet He also had boundaries.

He walked away from people. He confronted wrongdoing. He didn't allow Himself to be manipulated or controlled. He loved others without surrendering His identity or purpose.

So where is that balance?

I don't know.

I know there are times when distance is necessary. There are situations involving abuse, addiction, and ongoing harm where boundaries are healthy, wise, and even life-giving.

But I also wonder whether we've become too quick to cut people off when relationships become painful or disappointing or even just inconvenient. 

I've certainly had unkind thoughts. I've said things in my heart that I'm not proud of. I've held grudges. I've wanted to write people off and I have written off a lot of people.

We're all free to make the choices we believe are best for our lives. Sometimes those choices are necessary.

But I can't help wondering if we're also a little too sensitive at times. A little too self-protective. A little too willing to label difficult people as toxic rather than accepting that sometimes people are simply flawed, hurting, and human.

Maybe the real challenge is figuring out how to hold both truths at the same time:

To love people without letting them destroy us.

To create healthy boundaries without abandoning grace.

To acknowledge hurt without making reconciliation impossible.

I don't have the answer.

I just know it's a question worth asking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are you afraid of?

It's Friday the 13th a day in which urban legends come out and people become a little bit superstitious or a little more frightful.    I remember in the late 90s - early 2000s playing Friday the 13th on the Sega Genesis....  All was fine in the day light as you walked around the campground and sometimes you had to get in the boat to go across the lake to the other side.  Life was good... The children were safe.  Then it started to get dark... your Children numbers started dropping, and you had to go find what was taking the children and you knew what was taking them.  You now had to search each of the cabins and in the darkeness even though you expected it at every turn Boom there was JASON and you just said holy S#@T  and screamed a bit in terror.   You took your little rock and threw it at Jason and did your best to dodge the knife as he slashed at you.   Sometimes you defeated him, Sometimes he killed you.  Someti...

She's not 39... Anymore...

Over 20 years ago when I was in high school, my youth group leader Bonnie was turning 40. Jim (her husband) and I rewrote the lyrics to I can't cry anymore by Sheryl Crow and sang "She's not 39 anymore..." Funny how I somewhat forgot about that and now... Soon I'll be singing that myself. I don't quiet recall at the age of 16 where I wanted to be when I turned forty but I'm pretty sure I wanted to be much like Bonnie. She was a pretty epic person and considering I didn't deserve her love she gave it so freely. I've been reflecting alot on the person I was then and the person I am today. I'm amazed where and how I traveled and the journey in which God lead me. I often wondering, where did the days and years go? I'm not sure I really recall what my 16 year old self would be at   at my  16 year would be at age 40. l daughter look a lot at my daughter and an reminded of the youthfulness and sence of adventure.  Turin...

Are You Growing Your People Like a Gardener?

Lately at work, I've been feeling like that dead office plant. You know the one sitting in the corner, all wilted, dried up, and barely hanging on. It's surprisingly easy to feel malnourished and deflated. For a plant, it's a lack of water and sunshine. For people, it's often a lack of encouragement, support, and motivation. I love buying plants. I love when they're full, green, and thriving. The problem is, I'm not always great at keeping them that way. Recently, I came across a checklist for growing healthy plants: Know your plants. Make sure the containers or pots are big enough. Provide the right amount of sunshine. Water them only as often as needed. Fertilize them. Check on them regularly. Keep pests away. As I was reading the list, I realized how much of it applies to being a manager. Know your employees. Make sure they're in positions where they can grow and flourish. Encourage and motivate them. Provide constructive feedback. Pay them fairly. Che...