Skip to main content

The Five-Person Question That Became Twenty-Six

I have always loved random icebreaker questions like:

  • What is your favorite holiday?
  • If you were stranded on a deserted island, what is the one object you would want to have?

As someone who is pretty much an open book and tends to wear her heart on her sleeve, I've always enjoyed exploring what makes me tick and what really matters in life. I'm fascinated by the things that shape us, motivate us, and make us who we are.

That's why one question has always intrigued me, even though it consistently trips me up:

Aside from family members, If you could invite any five people, dead or alive, real or fictional, to a dinner party, who would they be?

It seems like such a simple question, but the more I think about it, the more it reveals about our values, our curiosities, and the people who have inspired us. Are you drawn to wisdom, creativity, innovation, humor, kindness, adventure, or something else entirely?

For me, narrowing it down to just five might be the hardest part.

Here are my top 26 - all representing an aspect in life I think is super important.  Kindness, Wisdom, Creativity, Curiosity/ Innovation, Joy/ Humor, and Adventure/ Courage.  

  1. Jesus
  2. Mister Fred Rogers
  3. Dr. Maya Angelou
  4. Vincent Van Gogh
  5. Leonardo da Vinci
  6. Sherlock Holmes
  7. Dolly Parton
  8. Princess Diana
  9. Corrie ten Boom
  10. Keanu Reeves
  11. Betty White
  12. Wonder Woman
  13. Anne Shirley
  14. Bono
  15. The 10th Doctor
  16. Robin Williams
  17. Brené Brown
  18. Mr. Snuffleupagus
  19. Mary Poppins
  20. Julia Child
  21. Amelia Earhart
  22. Jane Austen
  23. Anne Frank
  24. Jim Henson
  25. Johnny Cash
  26. C.S. Lewis

As different as these people are, they all have one thing in common: they've made the world a little brighter. Some changed history. Some changed hearts. Some exist only in stories. Yet each one reminds me of a quality that matters deeply to me and helps shape the person I want to be.

Maybe that's why I love questions like this. They're never really about the answer. They're about discovering what we value, what inspires us, and what kind of legacy we hope to leave behind.

And now I'd love to know: who are the five (or 26) people you'd invite to dinner, and what does that choice say about you?



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are you afraid of?

It's Friday the 13th a day in which urban legends come out and people become a little bit superstitious or a little more frightful.    I remember in the late 90s - early 2000s playing Friday the 13th on the Sega Genesis....  All was fine in the day light as you walked around the campground and sometimes you had to get in the boat to go across the lake to the other side.  Life was good... The children were safe.  Then it started to get dark... your Children numbers started dropping, and you had to go find what was taking the children and you knew what was taking them.  You now had to search each of the cabins and in the darkeness even though you expected it at every turn Boom there was JASON and you just said holy S#@T  and screamed a bit in terror.   You took your little rock and threw it at Jason and did your best to dodge the knife as he slashed at you.   Sometimes you defeated him, Sometimes he killed you.  Someti...

Are You Growing Your People Like a Gardener?

Lately at work, I've been feeling like that dead office plant. You know the one sitting in the corner, all wilted, dried up, and barely hanging on. It's surprisingly easy to feel malnourished and deflated. For a plant, it's a lack of water and sunshine. For people, it's often a lack of encouragement, support, and motivation. I love buying plants. I love when they're full, green, and thriving. The problem is, I'm not always great at keeping them that way. Recently, I came across a checklist for growing healthy plants: Know your plants. Make sure the containers or pots are big enough. Provide the right amount of sunshine. Water them only as often as needed. Fertilize them. Check on them regularly. Keep pests away. As I was reading the list, I realized how much of it applies to being a manager. Know your employees. Make sure they're in positions where they can grow and flourish. Encourage and motivate them. Provide constructive feedback. Pay them fairly. Che...

She's not 39... Anymore...

Over 20 years ago when I was in high school, my youth group leader Bonnie was turning 40. Jim (her husband) and I rewrote the lyrics to I can't cry anymore by Sheryl Crow and sang "She's not 39 anymore..." Funny how I somewhat forgot about that and now... Soon I'll be singing that myself. I don't quiet recall at the age of 16 where I wanted to be when I turned forty but I'm pretty sure I wanted to be much like Bonnie. She was a pretty epic person and considering I didn't deserve her love she gave it so freely. I've been reflecting alot on the person I was then and the person I am today. I'm amazed where and how I traveled and the journey in which God lead me. I often wondering, where did the days and years go? I'm not sure I really recall what my 16 year old self would be at   at my  16 year would be at age 40. l daughter look a lot at my daughter and an reminded of the youthfulness and sence of adventure.  Turin...