I start a lot of paintings that get pretty far along, and then something happens and they remain unfinished.
There's usually a good explanation as to why I don't finish them.
It's almost as if I lose interest or lose the desire to keep going. Perhaps I'm just afraid I'll mess it up. There have been plenty of times when I kept painting, only to have things go sideways and ruin it. I find myself saying, "If only I hadn't put that green there."
The other, and probably more common, excuse is that I simply become uninspired. I get stuck and just give up. I find myself saying, "This isn't really that good..."
So I file it away and tell myself that maybe someday I'll finish it. Often, though, those paintings remain unfinished.It's made me wonder if there are other things in my life that I treat like unfinished paintings.
The answer is yes. There are quite a few things I start and then quit somewhere along the way. I probably have 30 started blog posts that consist of a few sentences or a couple of paragraphs. I'll begin working toward a really important goal and then simply give up on the pursuit.
Sometimes I wonder where I am in God's studio. Am I getting closer to being completed, or do I still have a long way to go?
Right now, I feel very unfinished. But I know that He who started a good work in me will carry it on to completion. And when He's done, I'll be a masterpiece.

Comments
Post a Comment