Skip to main content

Insurmountable...

Every now and then doesn't it seem like life just keeps pitching you fast balls?  No matter what you do to get ahead in the game, the game gets a little overwhelming?

Once you finally washed all the dishes, you happen to notice the mount and mount of laundry waiting for you. 
You get one kid to t-ball only to realized the other one has dance or ballet across town at the same time.

I have been extremely busy this past few years with working, school and family and every now and then I just get so overwhelmed... It all feels Insurmountable!  But is it really?

Is anything really too great to overcome?  I have read countless stories of people who had every right to through their hands up can claim defeat, but strived and kept going against all odds... what’s makes those people so different from the rest of us?  Where they gifted a superpower of perseverance or endurance?

Just this morning I heard a snip-it on the radio about Job... you know the guy, right?   Job a wealthy man living in UZ with his large family.  He is blameless and upright he does the right thing in the eyes of God.  But Satan challenges God and in a sense they make a bet on how well Job would do in torment of Satan. 

I know what you’re thinking... nice God you got there toying with Job’s life but the story goes on and Job is tested and pretty much loses everything he has including all of his children, he is afflicted with skin sores and his wife basically losses all hope in him and tells him to curse God and die.  Wow.  If that isn’t overwhelming, all of his friends tell him, you must’ve done something pretty bad to have all this affiliation and Job is being punished.  They basically lay into Job and the story goes on, until ultimately God finally interrupts and pretty much puts all in place. 


The entire book of Job is difficult for many to understand, why an all-powerful God allows good people to suffer.   We don’t want to suffer and find ourselves with moments of in surmount.  We don’t want to feel defeated by any means, but that’s when God speaks to us the most...in our pain... in our sufferings.   

In the grand scheme of things,  I am not sure if I have ever had a problem or situation that was insurmountable.  Satan really does stand by waiting to whisper in our ears the lies,  the torment.  Satan often wants us to give up and say that is just too much for me <curse God.>

We often find ourselves too busy that often times we make our lives more complex than they need to be.  We plan expensive vacations only to realize the kids love playing in the back yard just as much.  We take jobs in which we know we can't do.  We make our lives overwhelming by trying to fill it with all the wrong things.    We make medical excuses when we can't justify our behaviors.  We lie, we steal, we cheat..  we are messed up individuals that will never have it all together.   And mostly we don't trust God enough to see us through the difficult times.

Life isn't as simple as ABC but it certainly isn't as insurmountable as we all think.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What are you afraid of?

It's Friday the 13th a day in which urban legends come out and people become a little bit superstitious or a little more frightful.    I remember in the late 90s - early 2000s playing Friday the 13th on the Sega Genesis....  All was fine in the day light as you walked around the campground and sometimes you had to get in the boat to go across the lake to the other side.  Life was good... The children were safe.  Then it started to get dark... your Children numbers started dropping, and you had to go find what was taking the children and you knew what was taking them.  You now had to search each of the cabins and in the darkeness even though you expected it at every turn Boom there was JASON and you just said holy S#@T  and screamed a bit in terror.   You took your little rock and threw it at Jason and did your best to dodge the knife as he slashed at you.   Sometimes you defeated him, Sometimes he killed you.  Someti...

Are You Growing Your People Like a Gardener?

Lately at work, I've been feeling like that dead office plant. You know the one sitting in the corner, all wilted, dried up, and barely hanging on. It's surprisingly easy to feel malnourished and deflated. For a plant, it's a lack of water and sunshine. For people, it's often a lack of encouragement, support, and motivation. I love buying plants. I love when they're full, green, and thriving. The problem is, I'm not always great at keeping them that way. Recently, I came across a checklist for growing healthy plants: Know your plants. Make sure the containers or pots are big enough. Provide the right amount of sunshine. Water them only as often as needed. Fertilize them. Check on them regularly. Keep pests away. As I was reading the list, I realized how much of it applies to being a manager. Know your employees. Make sure they're in positions where they can grow and flourish. Encourage and motivate them. Provide constructive feedback. Pay them fairly. Che...

She's not 39... Anymore...

Over 20 years ago when I was in high school, my youth group leader Bonnie was turning 40. Jim (her husband) and I rewrote the lyrics to I can't cry anymore by Sheryl Crow and sang "She's not 39 anymore..." Funny how I somewhat forgot about that and now... Soon I'll be singing that myself. I don't quiet recall at the age of 16 where I wanted to be when I turned forty but I'm pretty sure I wanted to be much like Bonnie. She was a pretty epic person and considering I didn't deserve her love she gave it so freely. I've been reflecting alot on the person I was then and the person I am today. I'm amazed where and how I traveled and the journey in which God lead me. I often wondering, where did the days and years go? I'm not sure I really recall what my 16 year old self would be at   at my  16 year would be at age 40. l daughter look a lot at my daughter and an reminded of the youthfulness and sence of adventure.  Turin...