Skip to main content

Here I am Lord??

A dear friend of ours shared something deeply personal with us this weekend. He told us how he has been praying for our family, specifically that Tim would go to seminary and begin preparing for world missions again.

He became emotional as he shared how much my mission testimony had impacted him. He said he had been praying that God would show him ways to support us as we seek to go wherever He calls.

This brings up so many mixed emotions for me.

About seven years ago, we were on that path. We were ready and willing to go, but God closed that door faster than we had opened it. Looking back, we knew we weren't ready. Now, seven years later, I honestly don't know that I want to open that door again.

But what I keep asking myself is: why?

My list of reasons for wanting to stay right where I am is pretty long:

  1. Our lives are here. Friends, church, family, school, work.
  2. I have a great job that I love. It provides well for our family, and I work with some amazing people.
  3. God is already using us here. Tim serves as a deacon, and we co-lead a sixth-grade youth group. We are raising our children to love and follow God right where we are.
  4. I have significant student loan debt and other financial responsibilities.
  5. I like it here. The weather, the people, the familiarity.
  6. We're not ready. Tim's not ready.
  7. I have my children to think about and worry about.
  8. The kids have lives here too. Friends, swim team, AHG, Scouts, and so much more.
  9. I have social and economic responsibilities.
  10. We don't walk as closely with the Lord as we should.
  11. I'm a hypocrite more often than I'd like to admit. I'm a sinner who sometimes wonders what business I have teaching anyone anything.
  12. Not now, Lord. Maybe later.
  13. I'm comfortable.

When I read that list back to myself, sometimes it just sounds like, "Blah, blah, blah."

Excuses.

Deep down, I've always known this day might come. And now that it seems to be approaching, I'm scared.

Just scared.

Over the past few years, I feel like God has been positioning me, preparing me for something. I just didn't know what that something was. Is this really what it's all been leading to?

While we were in Honduras, one of the missionaries looked at me quite seriously and asked, "When are you coming?"

I laughed.

She didn't.

When she asked why I laughed, I started explaining a few things from my list above. When I got to, "I'm comfortable," she immediately replied:

"Don't tell me that, or I'll pray even harder for you."

I've been carrying around so many mixed emotions and doubts. Part of me wonders if we're truly not ready.

But is that the truth?

Or am I simply afraid of the unknown?

Am I too comfortable in my own little world?

I often joke that I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. Better yet, I joke that I'm Peter Pan and never will grow up.

But maybe this is what God has been preparing me for all along.

So my prayer today is simple:

"Here I am, Lord. Lead me to Your purpose and Your plan, whatever that may be."



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On a mission

13 years ago... My husband and I were in the process of becoming overseas missionaries.  We were pretty far along in the process, approved by our mission agency, blessed by our elders, and waiting the call from missionaries in Latin America. We knew we had many things to overcome to make it a reality but we were willing and able.  We never thought God was going to shut the door as far as he opened it. Spring of 2006 - was the worst season of our lives.  When we heard the word "cancer" we crumbled.  We didn't know what to expect but we also found out we were "expecting." Between having a baby, termites, job loss and cancer - we closed the door in great great sadness. God used us in some pretty amazing ways but there has also been a small void in my life wondering what it would been like to serve him in the field.  Almost every day of my life, I keep asking God ... "What am I supposed to be doing?" Why does it feel like I'm fail...

Are You Growing Your People Like a Gardener?

Lately at work, I've been feeling like that dead office plant. You know the one sitting in the corner, all wilted, dried up, and barely hanging on. It's surprisingly easy to feel malnourished and deflated. For a plant, it's a lack of water and sunshine. For people, it's often a lack of encouragement, support, and motivation. I love buying plants. I love when they're full, green, and thriving. The problem is, I'm not always great at keeping them that way. Recently, I came across a checklist for growing healthy plants: Know your plants. Make sure the containers or pots are big enough. Provide the right amount of sunshine. Water them only as often as needed. Fertilize them. Check on them regularly. Keep pests away. As I was reading the list, I realized how much of it applies to being a manager. Know your employees. Make sure they're in positions where they can grow and flourish. Encourage and motivate them. Provide constructive feedback. Pay them fairly. Che...

Gesso

As an occasional painter, I've been known to take an old painting and paint over it. There's a product called white gesso and it's purpose is to prime a canvas for oil painting and pre-prime and old paintings to be used again. It hides all the color that is under it but it doesnt hide the texture or previous strokes. Often times in life we have to somewhat start all over again.  Perhaps it's restarting after a bad relationship, or a medical procedure that had left you different than before, or a job or career that hasn't really fulfilled you.  Most of the time we find ourselves wanting to cover up a major mistake. Sometimes we wish life had a gesso option.  Something that could cover up everything that was there before.  A new start... As for me, I know it's my sinful heart that longs for the whiteness and freshness of a new clean canvas.  One thing that often gives me great comfort is... Jesus is my gesso.  He paid for my sins and his life ma...